Decisions, decisions

June 14, 2011   Opinion

Faces Archive | Source

Summer has officially started, and we're officially in "countdown mode" with regard to Esther-Faith's kindergarten. Oh, we're not counting down the days until she goes to school, we're counting down the days until we have to make a final decision.

To make a long story short: Private school close to me with no services (PT, OT, Speech, adapted recreation, etc...) that is all day, every day and close enough that I could get to her every three hours to assist with cathing.


Public school with services that only meets Monday, Wednesday, and every other Friday to which we would have to transport her but where she would have a nurse to help with cathing and then we have to find childcare for the other days of the week.

It is a HARD decision. And we can't seem to make up our minds. We've got our pros and cons for each. We've made our lists of "what-ifs." We've agonized over the whats and wherefores. And STILL, we can't decide.

I know, it's kindergarten. Except for our kids, it's more than just classes. The decisions go beyond what they'll learn to how they will learn it. Where will they have the least restrictive environment? Where will there be someone who knows the signs of shunt failure?

How do we decide?

If you've walked in these shoes, ANY advice you can give would be appreciated!